Saturday, February 21, 2009

Flowers Around the Memorial
~ Summer 2008~ "Dark Horse"

I have slowed down a bit with painting because the country store where I was selling them, closed. Eaton's Sugarhouse (a restaurant with gift shop) has a few, but haven't sold any there as yet.
Just made cornbread for "Meet the Mitchell's" tonight at the Memorial. The new directors are busy getting the word out and inviting people to visit. We have both had colds and are sooo ready for winter to be over. We hear there is more snow on its way this week...can't wait!
We will be ordering about 2000 annual flowers for planting around the grounds for this May. Since we are the only missionaries who will be here this spring, I have the responsibility of planning the gardens (hopefully another couple will be coming in April when the Sanford's go home). It has been fun, but quite a challenge. I used a lot of the flowers we used last year. Some that flowered the longest and were the hardiest. Also, ordering more flowering annuals and not so many just green leafy fillers. We had some vegetables in the flower gardens last year, I really didn't like them in the formal beds. I have learned a lot about flowers while being here, but it is not my best thing. Hope the gardens will turn out nice!!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I love the new painting. I hope you feel better soon.

slades said...

Your paintings are so nice. We love the ones you did for us. Someday we will be able to sell them for a fortune-because they were some of your first ones. (haha)We aren't selling them they mean too much to us. We are sure the flower bed will be beautiful. WE also agree that the vegetables did not work in all the flower beds. I too look forward to spring.

Jon~n~Heather's Family Blog said...

Mom...these are incredible...you are amazing....I Love the color in the memorial painting...! Jon and I have a family blog. It's actually my old photography blog.